Ups and Downs is
definitely the theme of this blog. There are situations where I have no control
and it feels like the stress is swallowing me sometimes; then there are moments
where I have never felt such a sense of agency in being able to impact others
and I have never felt such confidence as a social worker and teacher. There are times I feel exploited in my
interactions with others and am just seen as a guy with money or someone that
will do the work that needs to be done; there are times when I feel I make the
most organic, genuine connections with strangers and that people are so
concerned about me. There
are times I wonder what I am doing here; there are others it feels like it was
destiny to be here.
Sunday
Not a whole lot happening. We had electricity for 24 hours for the first time since
I’ve been here….that of course ended by the afternoon, but it did allow we a
full charge on my laptop and so I was relatively productive today.
Monday
Today, I went to the office and Dr. Jarrett helped me buy a
laser printer. I must say that he
is a shrewd negotiator.
Given the amount that I anticipate needing to print and scan (since
there are not printers/photocopy machines to use at the university and my
propensity to give out handouts in classes), I wanted a pretty heavy duty
printer. So, a printer was
originally priced at 2.5 million leones (about $500). Well, Doc Jarrett managed to get that price cut in half.
Then, there was a faculty meeting where Abu and I presented
our proposed new curriculum for the sociology degrees. I received positive feedback, but there
were definitely areas of disagreement but no solutions given. For example, they have two different
Masters degrees in Sociology (a Masters of Science in Sociology and a Masters
of Philosophy in Sociology) but there is not a clear description of how they
are different. They do not even
have a current curriculum documented with course descriptions available for the
degrees. So, if the faculty is not really sure what classes the students take
(both of these are active degree programs), I can only imagine the confusion of
the students. I asked for a
distinction between these degrees probably 5 times and each time was told that
was for me to determine, but my proposal was rejected without specific
feedback. I just gave up asking
the same question. I am really working on trying to “let things go” and go with
the flow instead of going to a mental place of how I feel things “should” be (There should
be curriculum complete with syllabi for all courses. The sociology faculty should have a greater part in figuring
this out. We should be able let students know what kind of jobs they can get
when they get this degree…There should
be some sort of advising system for students...and so forth). But, that raises my blood pressure just
typing it out, so I certainly need to catch myself going to that place (which
happens relatively often here) to reduce the unhelpful frustration it stirs up.
That being said…. I feel like I am positively contributing
to the department and more importantly that I am a part of the department. I was able to be assertive in stating
my areas of uncertainty and places that I needed more active feedback from
others.
I am not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier post, but we do have a start date. The first day of classes will actually be on my birthday—November 4. So, what a way to bring in my 34 b-day…I can only imagine the chaos that day will be. And, I also need to really refocus—I’ve been somewhat sidetracked and I need to get my syllabi in place…I think the more lackadaisical culture here (i.e., we do not have an actual schedule of times for the classes yet and students have yet to register) has brushed off a little bit in terms of getting my readings and lectures prepped.
I am not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier post, but we do have a start date. The first day of classes will actually be on my birthday—November 4. So, what a way to bring in my 34 b-day…I can only imagine the chaos that day will be. And, I also need to really refocus—I’ve been somewhat sidetracked and I need to get my syllabi in place…I think the more lackadaisical culture here (i.e., we do not have an actual schedule of times for the classes yet and students have yet to register) has brushed off a little bit in terms of getting my readings and lectures prepped.
Tuesday, October 22
Today, I met my first research assistant. Dr. Jarrett prefaced me that this
student was in great need and, in fact, without me providing this scholarship,
she would not be able to continue with her education. She comes from a single parent home and was basically told
by her mother to get married, much like her older sister was married off. Dr. Jarrett told me that many young
women end up in this situation and then end up giving up an education to marry
“any illiterate guy” that will marry her.
This, of course, sets the young woman down a path of doing odd jobs/petty
trading, having children, and likely repeating a cycle of poverty. It’s really a powerful feeling to be
able to help set someone’s life down a completely different path by providing
such a opportunity, but it’s also overwhelming knowing there are so many others
in this young woman’s situation. Whether you call it a blessing, karma, fate,
etc., I’m grateful that the Fulbright Award is generous enough to allow me to
do this.
So, when I finally had a chance to meet her, I took Fatmata
to the café by campus and we had a conversations about the responsibilities of
the position. Basically, she will
have to recruit and interview 40 other young women seeking undergraduate
degrees in Sierra Leone. I’m
interested in looking at their current sense of well-being and perceptions of
social supports. Additionally, we
will be looking at students’ current struggles in education, how they work
through them, and also about their earlier educational experiences. My other research assistant will interview
40 young men so we can do some comparisons between male/females. Fatmata was lovely and very
poised. I was a little worried
because Dr. Jarrett was adamant about making “financial need” the primary
criteria for this award yet I also need someone with academic strengths and an
outgoing personality. Famata told
me some of her story, which was in line with what I heard earlier—her mother
telling her there is no money to go to school and that she should get
married. So, I am hoping that she
will be able pull together the remaining amount of her tuition (about $125) for
the next two years that I’ll be sponsoring her and then she has her senior year
to pay for.
On another note, I know sometimes I can be negative about
the university here, but I do want to say that the faculty in social work
really do care about the students and want them to be successful. One of my colleagues has been jumping
through all sorts of hoops to get in touch with my other research assistant,
and he was even going to go to his house later today to try to find him. In the U.S., it would be a simple
e-mail to a student, but that is definitely not the case here, where very few
people even use voicemail.
Wednesday October 23
Today was a pretty eventful day at the after school program. I started by meeting with five students’ parents because of their attendance/tardiness/lack of work issues. I discovered that three of the younger girls in the program are kin to some of the teachers in the school. The teachers were pleading me to keep the girls in the program. So, now, I understand how these girls, who are not as ready for this job, were recommended for the job. That being said, each of the girls and the teachers had a sad story – I know from the seeing the payroll that the teachers are making less than $50/month…these teachers are young men who have taken in their orphan cousins and thus are really struggling. So, we did some corrective action planning and I think we were all pleased with the result. The one girl that I have had a really, really hard time connecting with (and who I fear may have some sexual abuse in the past/present)—her sister came in and had no affect whatsoever when I was trying to communicate with her through a translator. It could be cultural or a sign of respect (or intimidation of me), but the flat affect closely resembles the young woman in my program, which makes me worry about family system dynamics. I also saw this particular student being scolded (and potentially threatened with corporal punishment) and she was crying…that was when my heart really went out to her and I felt that the program could be really healing for her—although I definitely think it would ideal if I had a female co-instructor to do some counseling.
Wednesday, my last group, who was not ready last week, made
their presentations about school cleanliness and I must say I was really happy
with how they came together. I was
really uncertain if they would be able to pull it off, and in some aspects,
they made the best presentations.
When I came home, I saw all sorts of Facebook posts about
there being frost on cars and flurries in Chicago. I must say I will NOT miss going a year without snow…I think
I’ll take riding in my overcrowded poda-podas rather than driving in snow.
Thursday
Today, I met with Fredline, the other Fulbright Scholar, and
Dr. Jarrett about submitting a proposal to hold an international policy
conference in Sierra Leone. We had
a great exchange in conceptualizing a theme—Whether the Millennium Development
Goals blueprint is applicable to Africa…but were left feeling a little
overwhelmed at writing the proposal.
Friday
My program again started with conversations with two
parents/students about being late. Two very different scenarios. One of the boys’ father, who comes from a relatively more
financially stable household, came in and said his son has not excuse for being
late and, in fact, he has cut down on his son’s chores because of the job. This same father intercepted my
conversation with the other student and her family member (a cousin’s
boyfriend--not exactly a ‘parent’ that I requested, but this was the only
family member she could have come).
The father pleaded on behalf of this girl, who he knows from the
neighborhood. He told me she is up
at 5AM doing chores in the house, then her family sends her out to the streets
to sell various products, then she is allowed to come to work/school. She is an orphan and living with
relatives…and, to me, it is basically slavery. She has no childhood whatsoever. Her cousin’s boyfriend seemed to be receptive to what I
said, as I was adamant that the money she makes with me is probably the same if
not more than she will get selling…plus she is furthering her education.
This whole exchange as well as my Wednesday meetings really
made the movie Half the Sky (which I
finished watching earlier this week) resonate. Half the Sky is basically about gender inequalities and how
vulnerable girls and women are in many parts of the world. Sierra Leone is
actually one of the featured countries in the movie, highlighting the issue of
gender-based violence. The film
discusses domestic violence as well as the high frequency of sexual abuse in
the country. It features the story
of a 14 year-old girl, who was abused by a Pastor. He was freed, despite there being a lot of evidence of
multiple abuses, while she and her mother were kicked out the house by her
father for shaming the family. Such a contradiction on how things should be. The movie also
features other countries and issues (i.e., sex trafficking, lack of
education).
This is just a real life example of the exploitation that
can happen.
In the afternoon, Lebbie took me to the “provinces”—that is,
the areas outside of Freetown.
There are northern, eastern, and southern provinces – we went to Bo in
the South.
The journey entailed a nearly 5 hour bus ride on a TIGHTLY
packed bus. People were nearly on
each other’s laps in order to ensure every bit of space was filled. I made an interesting observation on
the bus ride. There was a mother
with a young child – I would guess a little over a year old … maybe 18 months
at most. The mother left the baby
asleep on the bus for a short while at one of our pitstops. The baby awoke but did not cry or
really respond at all to her mother not being present. That just made me think of
attachment. In attachment
research, there is something called the “Strange Situation” experiment, where a
mother leaves a child about this age alone in a room to see the baby’s
reaction. In a secure attachment,
the child becomes upset but then is quickly soothed by the mother upon her
return. There are of course
insecure attachments and corresponding reactions (i.e., the baby cannot be
soothed by the mother, the baby is indifferent to the mother’s leaving and
reentry, the baby responds in bizarre ways). So, that made me wonder what this experiment would look like
in Africa. I mean children are so
independent here compared to the U.S. Often, outside my compound, there are many children
under the age of 2/3 playing alone outside. So, children learn early on how to be on their own without
having that secure base readily available.
In Bo, I stayed with Lebbie’s brother’s family. As has been the case throughout my
stay, they were quite welcoming and made me feel at home. The mother was a
wonderful cook, who made some traditional African dishes (i.e., potato leaves)
over the weekend. Bo is second
largest city in Sierra Leone, but definitely had a different “feel” than
Freetown. It certainly was not as
crowded. Additionally, there are
no taxis or poda podas to get around; so, if you want transportation, you
depend on okadas (the motorbikes)—which are not the optimal or safest option,
especially with the severely bumpy roads.
Bo, though, does have a more consistent electricity supply than Freetown
due to the hydroelectric plant.
So, I would say there was electricity 80%-90% of the time we were
there. What they have in
electricity, however, they lack in running water. They are dependent on wells for the water, so it was back to
bucket showers for me. I can
definitely survive on bucket showers, but I have to say I really do appreciate
having a decent shower at my residence in Freetown. Not having running water is so time-consuming for the
families. They have to go to the
well with buckets, then they have a tank of water in the house to fill up, then
they need to fill up buckets again to use to flush the toilet/take showers/wash
clothes/etc.
On Friday night, we went out for live music and then a dance
club. It was much fun….and really
what I needed after a stressful week and upcoming week. While out, I did quickly realize
how many commercial sex workers there were and how direct they were. Being a white man (and thus being
perceived as having money), I was immediately propositioned. So, I did my best to dance solo and
politely push away those that approached me. It was actually really, really sad how desperate—to be
blunt—many of the women were. These
were little girls once with dreams and aspirations and now they see themselves
as just objects to be used by men.
I really had never encountered anything like it before, and really was
not expecting to encounter it here given my preconceived ideas that Africa was
sexually more conservative. So,
that was definitely the downer of an otherwise fun night.
Otherwise, the weekend was pretty low key. I did get to experience Palm Wine on
Saturday and Sunday. Palm Wine is
an alcohol tapped from palm trees.
There are locations where men just gather and buy gallons of palm wine (a
gallon is a little over $1) and drink out whatever container is available,
including empty mayonnaise containers.
Sunday was spent at the family’s house…and truthfully my
anxieties started to rise thinking about all I had to do and the fact that
classes are supposed to start on Monday. So, I was relieved when we were able
to get back to Freetown in the early afternoon on Monday.
Upon returning home, I quickly hit some roadblocks. First, internet
was not working. I hadn’t checked
my e-mail in 4 days and was expecting some important correspondence. Plus, I have a meeting tomorrow about
the policy conference are trying to put together and the proposal for which is
due Nov 4. I then hit
another block as I tried to use my copier/printer to get my readings/etc.
printed…and the software package did not work on my computer. I could not believe it. The thought of having to return this
printer was just too much. It’s a
domino effect – and I get back to my “shoulds.” The internet that I pay for SHOULD be working; I SHOULD not
be having so many problems with my printer; I SHOULD have checked out my
printer before bringing it all the way home. So, I was pretty cranked up as this mixed with
my anxieties about classes starting and so forth.
Thankfully, I have been doing well at incorporating mindfulness into my life here, so tried to re-center. Then, I went for a short run and ended up playing football with the neighborhood kids for about two hours. Some of the young men in their early 20s joined, and were as nice as the little kids in trying to get me the ball. And, one would not let the game end until I scored a goal and eventually contrived a way for me to score as the sun set (though I will say that I did score a legit goal before he joined us).
Tuesday
Well, today, at the office found me back at that emotional
state I was in before the soccer game yesterday…actually worse. I went to the university with the
expectation that we would be having a meeting about the Africa Policy
Conference – well, I was the only one to show after waking up really early to
get my part done as internet started working again at like 5AM. It was then decided that we are just
going to nix the whole proposal due to seeming lack of interest after I called
the other Fulbright Scholar.
I then found out that I have to go back to the embassy to
fill out paperwork (that I have asked about the previous three times I was at
the embassy) because my temporary visa expired in the beginning of October
without me noticing. So, that is
just something else to deal with!
I further inquired to see if there is a schedule of when I
am supposed to teach, umm, next week…and it still has not been done. I just do not get how I will find 100
students to have a class when they have no idea when or where their class is…
Honestly, I do not even know if they know what classes they are taking. The other Fulbrighter told me that she
found out that you negotiate when you meet with the class…yeah…negotiate with
100 students to find a time to have class. This approach was later verified by two former
university students I talked with.
I do believe that the social work department will have some semblance of
a schedule…It just may not be done til the day of classes. It just does not make sense to me
why the university would not try to make this more organized…of course, this is
the perspective of an American professor whose university sets up the schedule
nearly a year in advance rather than a day in advance.
I just wanted to be done with the day at this point…so I
left the office early. In the
afternoon, again, I leveled out. I
had an awesome exchange with the taxi driver and other riders…then I got my
first African haircut. Well,
actually it was by a Lebanese barber (there is a fairly large Lebanese
population here). Although at this
stage in my travelling, this should be easy – going for the haircut was
actually pretty anxiety provoking (i.e., finding a barber, explaining what I
need done to my hair, etc.), but it turned out to be painless and he did a fine
job. When I was waiting for
my haircut, I felt bad for the barber’s ‘assistant.’ This young guy was just sitting outside waiting for a
customer to finish, then he would sweep, and then resume his seat outside. I was terribly bored the 15 minutes I
was waiting…I cannot imagine that being my job and then getting paid
pennies.
I then took a long walk back to Lumley. After having had thoughts of why I was
here earlier in the day, I was reminded as I passed by a woman and her kids and
she greeted me and said “I want to be your friend.” I do not think she was looking for the same ‘friendship’ as
the women in Bo. I think that is
people’s way of just welcoming you to the country. Often, people will call me “good friend” or randomly ask to
be my friend. Of course, there are
people with ulterior motives, but I believe in general it’s just a warm welcome.
Wednesday
Today, at the program, I had the students add up their
timesheets as Saturday is pay day. None of the teens knew how to add decimals (i.e. if they
worked 1.5 or 1.25 hrs). I was
just stunned and saddened… how will they ever get caught up with these basic
skills? I need to build in more academic exercises in the program, or maybe set
up an extra academic class before program one day.
I had some wins and losses with technology today. I managed to get my printer to work
properly after many hours fighting it to print properly over the past few days.
But, internet was done all day. It
has been so troublesome the past few days, which makes it difficult to get work
done.
Thursday, October 31
Today, I had a meeting with my research team. I met my second research assistant, Abdullai. The other faculty member did an
introduction and basically said that Abdullai was selected because he was an
orphan. He then talked about how
he is one of the best students,
but I was caught off guard by that being his introduction. In social work, we try to use “person
first” when identifying someone with a problem/struggle (i.e., a man with a mental
illness rather than a mentally ill man) to recognize that aspect of the person
is just part of their identity. I
can’t help but feel that it is stigmatizing to identify someone as an orphan; I
doubt that would be the first thing he would want me to know about him.
In any case, the meeting was productive; I think I have a
strong research team and both were really interested in the study.
I also finally found out the course timetable—when I’ll be
teaching; I was then asked to type it up and send it out and also saw my name
as co-teaching a fourth course. So, somehow ended up with more responsibilities
in that exchange. The idea
of co-teaching in some ways is more unappealing than teaching it myself – just
because I can tell my approach to teaching is so different. I am finding it so hard to collaborate
with individuals here.
I am also going to have to start setting some boundaries. I
am already overfunctioning, which of course is something I have done since
grade school through every job I have had. But, this also puts me in a position of being exhausted and
becoming resentful. I just feel
bad that the students at this college are just being cheated out of an optimal
education. They accept that their
class schedule gets posted on campus three days before classes start and
classes seem to be ‘thrown together.’
Dr. B, although your poda poda stories convey that travel there is not easy, I must say I would rather (at least) give it a try than face winter here.
ReplyDelete